Here are links of PowerPoint Presentations, PDF documents and Word documents.
- Introduction: basic definitions of fluid mechanics, fluid characteristics, viscosity, compressibility.
- Fluid statics: pressure distribution in a fluid, manometry, force on planar and curved surfaces, buoyancy, rigid body motion.
- Fluid kinematics: Fluid velocity and acceleration fields: Eulerian and Lagrangian descriptions, velocity field, streamlines, pathlines, streaklines, acceleration in a fluid.
- Control-volume analysis: Reynolds transport theorem, conservation of mass, momentum balance, angular momentum balance, conservation of energy, moving control volume, accelerating control volume, Bernoulli's equation.
- Differential analysis: exact solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations, stream function.
- Similitude: dimensional analysis, Buckingham PI theorem (dimensionless groups), modeling.
- Pipe flow: laminar and turbulent flow (including transition), fully developed flow, losses, Moody diagrams, flow meters.
- Flow around bodies: elements of lift and drag, boundary layers, separation.
ME 3340 course taken at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
Lesson Learned: No need to study lecture mathematical derivations. Time is better spent understanding how to apply the equations. Discuss problems with an expert by attending tutoring sessions.